Every once in a while I really have a craving for eggs… and then quiche. Funny because I absolutely never ever make quiche. Obviously I would love to but my husband would never eat it and I don’t want to eat a whole quiche by myself. So when I found this recipe I was really excited because it seemed so healthy and easy- and it totally was! My favorite part is that it is completely adaptable. Put whatever kind of veggies you want in it! Or none at all even. Or maybe just a load of crisped bacon. Whatever floats your boat really. As the title suggests, I am giving this recipe to you as a “base”, a kind of “formula”, if you will. I put sauteed red peppers and spinach in it because I think that that combination is just magical. Mushrooms would make a great addition too. Do whatever feels right to you. You can even add herbs and spices. I highly recommended spicing it up with some hot sauce, red pepper flakes, or cayenne pepper. I added 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning myself. You can even change up the cheeses. Go with cheddar if you want simple. Or maybe go for some gruyere if you’re feeling fancy.
I love how healthy this quiche recipe is. It’s loaded with protein and very little fat other than what comes from the cheese. Do NOT use non fat cottage cheese- gross… come on! Use 1%, no less than that. It ends up nice and creamy, trust me. If you like egg dishes and want to be healthy, go with this recipe.
And I can’t even begin to stress how easy it is to throw together. All you need is a Food Processor! It’s that simple. Well, aside from sautéing the veggies, that does take a few minutes. Let me walk you through the “how-to“:
Begin by sauteeing whatever mix of veggies you want.
Just don’t use any more than 2 cups.
1 to 2 cups is really ideal.
Set is aside to cool so you don’t make scrambled eggs.
(I just used frozen, defrosted spinach that I wrung dry)
In the bowl of a food processor, toss in the greek yogurt, eggs, cottage cheese, flour, salt, and pepper.
Now just process until nice and smooth and creamy!!
Add it to the bowl of sauteed veggies, throw in 1 cup shredded cheese and mix with a spatula until everything is well distributed.
Grease a deep dish pie plate or an 8″x8″ square pan and pour in the quiche batter.
Sprinkle on the remaining 1 cup of cheese and bake for 45 minutes : )
And when it’s finished you’ll have a smooth and creamy, healthy quiche!
Pretty simple, right?
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup - 2 cups filling of choice (sauteed veggies/meat)
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup greek yogurt (or sour cream)
- 1 cup 1% cottage cheese
- ¼ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Additional spices/herbs or choice, optional
- 2 cups grated cheese of choice
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Spray an 8 by 8-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Allow fillings to cool once cooked.
- Combine the eggs, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, flour, salt, and pepper, in a medium bowl. Stir together, or blend in food processor until the mixture is smooth, about 1 minute. Pour the mixture into a bowl with the filling ingredients. Add ½ the cheese and mix. Pour the mixture into the baking dish and smooth out the top. Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake until set, about 45 minutes. Remove the baking dish from the oven. It will be puffed up, but will fall slightly as it cools. Allow it to cool, then, refrigerate. Cut it into squares and serve.