Whenever I think of summers I think of salads. All types of salads. Especially the type of salads that belong at BBQ’s. This is one of those salads. If you’re picky or can’t look past boring, bland things, this is not going to suit you. Broccoli salad is for those that love food. It is SO delicious, but the blend of ingredients has quite the variety to it. Something like you might find in a chicken salad. A sweet, savory, crunchy, salty, type of combo if you will.
Broccoli is tossed with dried fruit, nuts, chopped red onions, and crumbled, crisp bacon. The whole salad is then covered in a simple, delicious dressing. It couldn’t get any easier than this. It is also completely adaptable, you can use whatever dried fruit or nut that you like. You can use combinations of more than one if you want. Go for it.
- 3 heads broccoli (about 1 lb), trimmed to just florets
- ½ cup cooked and crumbled bacon
- ½ cup chopped nut of choice (I like pecans or walnuts)
- ½ cup dried fruit of choice (I like craisins, but dark & golden raisins work well too)
- ½ cup red onion, small dice
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tb light brown sugar (or granulated, if desired)
- 3 Tb apple cider vinegar (or white wine vinegar, if desired)
- Mix the salad ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Mix the dressing ingredients well in a small bowl then pour into salad. Toss until well combined. Refrigerate until ready to serve.