I have been quite partial to peanut butter and chocolate lately. Between these peanut butter truffle brownies and the chocolate cupcakes with peanut butter frosting that I made last week, I’m on quite a kick. Kind of funny since peanut butter and chocolate are actually pretty low on my favorite combinations list, believe it or not. I know I have mentioned this before on here, but I think it’s worth mentioning again because it’s so shameful… peanut butter and chocolate don’t really do it for me.
BUT! My brother came to visit a few weeks ago and his favorite dessert is a good brownie. And a brownie with peanut butter… I don’t think a ten foot wall could keep him away. So I made these for HIM : D
But I did eat some myself. HeHe.
And they really were terrific. The brownie layer is dense, moist, and ultra chocolatey. The peanut butter filling is basically a frosting which pairs perfectly on top of a brownie. And the topping… a smooth, luscious ganache. UGH. Heaven.
Yes, they do require a little extra work because there are three layers to them, but I promise they are not difficult. You could even use a boxed brownie mix to make things easier for you to start off.
Here’s the “How-to”-
Whisk together the melted butter with the sugar until nicely combined.
Add three eggs and whisk together until smooth and creamy.
Make sure you sift together the cocoa, baking powder, and salt!
Then add it into the egg mixture and whisk to combine.
Finish the brownies off by folding in the sifted flour, until no more dry bits of flour remain.
Pour into a 9″ x 13″ pan that’s been lined with parchment paper.
Bake! and then cool while you prepare the peanut butter filling and ganache.
The peanut butter filling is simple to make.
Just beat together the peanut butter, butter, confectionary sugar, and milk until smooth.
Once the brownies are cool, spread this delicious frosting on top of the brownies.
Cover and place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
While the brownies are chilling you should prepare the ganache.
In a medium heat proof bowl add together the chocolate, peanut butter, butter and heavy cream.
Set this bowl over a small sauce pan of simmering water.
Stir as the mixture melts to make a nice smooth ganache.
Once everything is melted and well combined set it aside to cool for a bit.
You can even stir it a bit to help speed up the cooling process, but don’t do it too raipdly or you will make air bubbles in the ganache.
Once the ganache is cooled slightly you can spread it over the peanut butter filling on top of the brownies.
Set it back in the refrigerate to set completely.
And voila! Incredibly delicious, fudgy, peanut buttery, lusciously topped brownies!!!
Yay : )
Even a non-peanut butter and chocolate fan such as myself can appreciate these beauties.
Adapted from Sweet Pea’s Kitchen
- For the Brownies:
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 teaspoons vanilla
- ⅔ cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- For the Peanut Butter Filling:
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 teaspoons milk
- For the Ganache Topping:
- ¼ cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350F. Butter the bottom and sides of a 9 by 13 inch metal baking pan. Put a long piece of parchment paper in the bottom of the pan, letting the parchment extend up two sides of the pan and overhang slightly on both ends. (This will make it easy to remove the bars from the pan after they have baked.) Butter the parchment.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Remove from heat and add the sugar; stir to combine. Beat in eggs and vanilla until combined. Mix in cocoa, baking powder and salt. Add flour and stir until just combined and no streaks of dry ingredients remain. Pour into prepared pan and spread into an even layer. Bake for bake 25-30 minutes. Let cool completely in pan on a cooling rack.
- While the brownies are cooling, make the peanut butter filling. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the ingredients and beat until smooth. Add more milk if necessary to make it spreadable. Spread in an even layer over the brownies. Place in the refrigerator until filling is set, about 30 minutes.
- While the filling is setting, make the ganache, combine the ingredients in a double boiler or in a microwave safe bowl. Melt together and combine. Pour the ganache over the top and spread gently. Return to the fridge until set.