Three Ingredient EASY Nutella Brownie Bites

February 9, 2012

nutella brownie

This recipe is crazy. The good kind of crazy though. The genius kind of crazy.

Have you ever had a craving for something, but didn’t have everything that you needed to make it? Of course you have! Now these brownies solve that dilemma for all of us baking-nutella-lover’s. These amazzzing little brownie bites use only THREE ingredients!!

Are you already scouraging your cabinets for nutella? Or maybe you may just have to run out to the store right now… or put some on your grocery list to pick up the next time you are out. Because you have got to try these!

Nutella + eggs + flour= BROWNIES

Even the most kitchen weary individual could mix these up in less than five minutes and be eating them in just 15.

Have I sold you yet? Good. You need to know that these are not only easy and quick but they turn out these cute little bites that have an ooey gooey, underbaked center, which to be honest- is my favorite part of any brownie. I do have one bone to pick with them though.

nutella brownies recipe

Look at how much extra space is left in that muffin cup!

Kind of silly.

When you bake an exact dozen out of this recipe, you’ll get this height of a brownie.

Despite how you and I might feel about this, do NOT overfill the cups!

They are supposed to be bites overall… and that’s the proper size for a bite.

SO- withstand all urges to fill the muffin cup.

brownies with nutella

My Nutella was a bit stiff so I microwaved it for a few seconds to loosen it up.

It helps so that you can mix the eggs in much easier.

And if you don’t like Nutella, don’t even worry about it.

Nutella is used simply because it is sweetened which allows you to use one less ingredient.

The flavor is purely chocolate, not an overly strong hazelnut flavor to say the least.

I actually had just a scant cup of nutella when I made these and subbed in a bit of peanut butter because they are similar consistency’s.

Now, if you were interested in making peanut butter blondie bites you would have to add some sugar.

Maybe 1/3 cup? I don’t know, you’ll have to try it and find out.

Then, of course, let me know so I can try it too : ) hehe

UPDATE: I tried to sub peanut butter with some changes and I couldn’t quite get a good fit. So I tried THIS recipe for 3 ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies instead and they were so easy and delicious! Check it out!

Nutella Brownie Bites
Serves: 12

• 1 cup nutella
  • 2 eggs
  • 10 Tb all purpose flour (or ½ cup plus 2 Tb)
  • ¼ tsp salt (optional)
  • ¼ cup chocolate chips (optional)
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a regular (not a mini) 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners.
  2. Mix together eggs and Nutella in a medium bowl until smooth. Add in flour and mix until just combined. Evenly spread into prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle each with a few chocolate chips, if desired.
  3. Bake 12 minutes.
Notes
If you microwave the Nutella for a few seconds, it will soften it and allow for easier mixing.

adapted from Butter Baking

Lannie February 10, 2012 at 1:12 am

Love the 3 ingredient simplicity! These look great, anything with Nutella and chocolate together sounds like a fantastic plan to me!

lmachell February 10, 2012 at 4:46 am

haha I hear that!

Lorri February 10, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Ok, I need to make these like STAT. They look so delicious! Do you think it would work if I just plopped these straight into a greased muffin pan, without using the linings?

lmachell February 11, 2012 at 4:32 am

You could always try. Unfortunately there is always that risk that the bottom might stick a little bit… let me know if it works for you!

Leslie February 11, 2012 at 5:49 pm

I’m going to make these today! I’m going to add a couple tablespoons of ff cream cheese too. Will let you know exactly how much I add and how they turn out!

lmachell February 11, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Mmmm, that sounds yummy too! Can’t wait to hear how they turn out: )

Mariel February 11, 2012 at 8:36 pm

The extra room is so you can put a small scoop of ice cream on top! :-)

lmachell February 11, 2012 at 9:06 pm

hahaha that’s a GREAT idea!

Issy February 11, 2012 at 11:41 pm

They look delicious! But does it matter what type of flour you use? Also, how many brownies does one mix make?

lmachell February 12, 2012 at 4:22 am

Those are great questions. It’s all purpose flour and the batter makes exactly 12. I’ve updated the recipe card to include that information. Thank you!

kaelie February 15, 2012 at 12:13 pm

i have found chocolate spread which has dessicated coconut in it, so im gonna see how that works out. :)

lmachell February 15, 2012 at 12:36 pm

I hope it works well for you! I love chocolate and coconut- it’ll be like a “Mounds” brownie : )

irina February 15, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Hey, that looks great but unfortunately I don’t have a muffin pan or cups …can I just throw the mixture into a baking tray ?

lmachell February 15, 2012 at 6:56 pm

I’m not sure…if you did, it would have to be a smaller baking pan, like an 8″ x 8″. 9″ x 13″ would be way too big probably. And of course, adjust the baking time to be a little longer. Give it a shot and let me know if it ends up working!

Angela July 24, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Yep….baking pan does work just use double ingredients LOL
Any excuse to make and eat more cake! ;-)

Amy February 20, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Those look great! Are you using mini muffin tins or regular sized? Thanks!

lmachell February 21, 2012 at 4:27 am

These fit into regular sized muffin cups. Just be sure to make exactly twelve out of the batter to get the correct size!

Heather T. March 3, 2012 at 11:10 pm

Thanks for sharing! I just posted this on mu blog with a link to you! Hope that is OK!

lmachell March 4, 2012 at 4:26 am

Of course it is- thank YOU so much!

Allison March 6, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Mine turned out very dry and cakey- and without the gooey center that looked so delicious! Any ideas where I went wrong? Confession: I used 1/2 cup Nutella and then 1/2 cup regular Peanut Butter.

lmachell March 7, 2012 at 4:37 am

That’s very strange, these usually have a tendency to be more gooey than dry. It could definitely have been that you subbed half peanut butter. I only used about 2 Tb of peanut butter because I ran out of nutella and it didn’t make any difference to my texture. Peanut butter has a different consistency than nutella so you have to be careful when using that much. It’s also not sweetened which effects how moist these will turn out. Other factors might include the size you made these and how long they were in the oven. A full batch should evenly fill a standard 12 cup muffin tin and they should bake for just 12 minutes for gooeyness. I hope that helps!

Melissa A March 13, 2012 at 5:23 pm

I made these last night. I wasn’t consistent about the amount that i put into each cup and the ones that had less overcooked and were more cakey, the ones that had too much filling were the right consistency and had the gooey center. So basically I think I overbaked. But it’s a great recipe and super simple.

melissa f March 16, 2012 at 4:57 pm

I have these in the oven right now. I did everything in the recipe exactly and measured out 12 even cups using my kitchen scale. I have 10 min left on my timer! I will let you know!

lmachell March 18, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Sounds like they should come out perfect then- Hope you enjoyed them!! : D

Alisha March 16, 2012 at 11:18 pm

I featured these in a round-up of 3 Ingredient Treats on my blog today. Love the idea to just use the sweetener already in the nutella!

-Alisha @ SnugasaBugBaby.com

lmachell March 18, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Oh how wonderful! I’ll head over and check it out : ) Thank you!

Kelly S. March 22, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Just made these in mini muffin tins and came out great. Yum!

Kirsty May 2, 2012 at 10:06 pm

I made this for my friends and I yesterday as it was our last day of school! I made the recipie to 1 and a half, just beacause that’s how much nutella there was. So simple and so tasty! Awesome recipie!

Ray May 13, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Hey, what’s the yield for these? I’m deciding whether I should double the recipe!

lmachell May 13, 2012 at 11:59 pm

You should divide the batter between 12 regular size muffin cups and get 12 brownie bites. They will be VERY shallow, but that is exactly right.

Cat May 18, 2012 at 2:45 am

Turned out yummy. Just make sure you have milk to drink with this!

Annie May 20, 2012 at 12:14 am

Wow! I just tried this, and they turned out like nutella lava cakes! Amazingly delicious.

Veronica June 1, 2012 at 7:08 pm

I baked the nutella brownies for 2 cookouts over the Memorial Day holiday and they were a hit! I added chocolate chips and chopped pecans and they were to die for!! Thanks for the very simple to make recipe.

Veronica June 1, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Great, simple recipe!

Ashleigh June 6, 2012 at 12:05 am

I just made these AMAZING brownies! Was looking for something different than the usual cookie! I only had enough Nutella to make half, but still amazing! Writing about them on my blog now!

lea June 7, 2012 at 12:59 am

is putting salt going to make a difference? how’s the taste of the with salt and no salt?

lmachell June 7, 2012 at 3:39 pm

I think the salt just enhances the flavor ever so slightly. It’s absolutely not necessary though.

lea June 8, 2012 at 12:56 am

i ran out of flour and do you think that using bisquick mix ok for substitution for flour?

SarahM June 12, 2012 at 11:41 am

i used self raising flour, was that a mistake as they came out just like chocolate cakes, not with the gooey centre which I wanted.???????

lmachell June 12, 2012 at 4:19 pm

All purpose flour is all that you need for these.

Bec Tognala June 24, 2012 at 10:10 am

Wow! I just found this recipe tonight, gathered the kids around and had it in the oven within 1/2 hour!

I can’t wait to eat them after dinner with vanilla ice-cream. Mmmmm…

rekapau June 29, 2012 at 6:37 pm

Looks delicious!
Could you tell me, what “Tb” means?

Greetings from Europe:)

lmachell June 29, 2012 at 6:50 pm

Tb is short for Tablespoon

rekapau July 4, 2012 at 6:53 am

thanks:)

Ashley July 2, 2012 at 1:28 am

Just made these with applesauce instead of eggs since I had none. Needed to cook a little longer (which might be my oven), but they were delicious!!!

vee July 2, 2012 at 11:13 pm

I’ve made these over and over again, they are the best!
And I’m a huge fan of nutella, like I’d hook up an IV of nutella and be so happy.
BUT the point is, these nutella brownie bites are easy to make and taste SO GOOD!

Jennifer July 4, 2012 at 11:09 pm

I tried these and they were indescribably scrumptious! I made both batches with the salt added because small amounts of salt actually bring out the sweetness in foods. I made one batch with mini chocolate chips on top and a batch without. One batch was smaller than the other, thus, not as gooey. Still super tasty though! Thanks so much for this… not sure if my behind thanks you (I’ll be making these all the time now), but my tummy sure does! THANKS!!!

Madelaine July 5, 2012 at 6:56 am

I used plain flour and substituted the nutella with peanut butter! I also added an additional !/4 cup of sugar and two tablespoons of milk. Theyre great!!! They are not salty and not to sweet so you can have more than one (hehehe) Theyve been in for seven minutes and they came out chewy and gooey yum!

lmachell July 7, 2012 at 12:47 am

Oh that’s wonderful news! I’ll have to try it out : ) thanks!

Hannah July 7, 2012 at 3:30 am

I recently got married and we still have a pretty limited supply of ingredients in our pantry, but I really wanted to bake something using Nutella…I found this recipe on your blog and they looked perfect since they don’t require a lot of ingredients like other Nutella brownie recipes I found. I just made them and they are delicious! My husband and I might be in trouble because these are so easy and quick to make :p

Jocelyn July 11, 2012 at 5:28 pm

Just baked these, they’re ay-may-zing. I used a circular ten inch pan baked for about 15 minutes. The taste is absolutely marvelous. Will DEFINITELY be using again!

Brenda Wiarda July 15, 2012 at 5:44 pm

My sweet tooth was calling last night and these little gems answered the call! Totally perfect recipe and serving size! Thanks for posting this recipe online! Google + 3 ingredients = perfect homemade treat in no time!

Zaza July 20, 2012 at 6:38 am

Hi! Can I use microwave instead of oven? How long would it take to bake these?

lmachell July 20, 2012 at 1:18 pm

I’ve never tried that so I can’t say for sure… I really wouldn’t think so though.

Kangkana July 20, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Is it possible to do this with melted chocolate instead of nutella? I do love Nutella but i have a lot of unwanted chocolate lying around and i need to get rid of it.

lmachell July 21, 2012 at 12:03 pm

I wouldn’t think so, but you could try it and let me know : ) I think the consistencies might be a tad different. Plus the nutella is sweetened well, and unless you use milk chocolate, you might have to add sugar.

Kangkana July 22, 2012 at 2:24 am

I guessing if I don’t melt the chocolate over a stove and just let it sit out until its the same consistency as Nutella it should work. I have chocolate candy bars not chocolate chips.

Kangkana July 20, 2012 at 8:34 pm

Can you use melted chocolate instead of nutella? Would it work and taste right?

RobbyTee July 23, 2012 at 11:16 pm

OMG I found this recipe on Pinterest and made these last night! They were PERFECT! I made them with the new JIF Cappuccino Mocha hazelnut spread. It’s MUCH easier to work with then Nutella which is kind of stiff. I also use mini chocolate chips and just mixed them into the batter. They were the hit of my dinner party. Thanks so much!!!!

Angela July 25, 2012 at 7:11 pm

One cup of Nutella, does that mean 340g? So almost a small jar?

Elisa July 27, 2012 at 1:49 am

Yummy! That was great and so simple…thanks :)

Mo-Mo August 4, 2012 at 3:14 pm

umm i couldn’t fit ll the flour in because they were really thick after just 4 heaped tablespoons what should i do ?

lmachell August 5, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Maybe heat your nutella up in the microwave first to loosen it up a bit? If measured out correctly, you shouldn’t have a problem fitting all the flour in.

Kyran August 6, 2012 at 9:58 am

I’m in the middle of making these right now, and my batter has made more than 12! :( Will that effect my brownies? Also, I didn’t have any cupcake cases, so I just greased the tray using butter x

Anna August 16, 2012 at 1:31 am

Woah! I am amazed by how simple these are! Plus, these photos make the recipe look so tasty!!

Tanya August 23, 2012 at 2:39 am

These look SOOOO yum, I must try them on the weekend!!

Jasmeen August 24, 2012 at 3:55 pm

I tried this yesterday they turned more like cakes. And they wasnt very chocolaty and was a bit dry.

Olivia August 26, 2012 at 9:51 pm

I just got my brownies out of the oven and they taste MARVELOUS. The consistency wasn’t as gooey as I expected, but they taste delicious. I would say that you have to be very attentive to this batch because the bottoms of a few of mine burnt a bit. Otherwise, great recipe!

Brynn September 6, 2012 at 9:35 pm

In the oven now! Can’t wait. Oh, and btw this is my first time ever trying Nutella.

Brynn September 6, 2012 at 10:00 pm

OMG Just out of the oven and OMG soooo good and delicious! So light and fluffy and chocolatey. Definitiely recommend!

Ilana September 22, 2012 at 3:26 am

MMMMMMMMMM! I just whipped up a batch of these heavenly little brownies and I couldn’t stop myself from eating one before it cooled. Great recipe, thanks!

Cheyenne September 30, 2012 at 9:10 pm

Made these today…they are FANTASTIC! The only thing I did different was I added Nutella on top of the brownie(after it was done baking).

Kristine October 16, 2012 at 6:15 am

O.M.G SO FLIPPING GOOD!!!!! YOU ROCK!! My new fave!!

Michal November 7, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Hi Laura,
Just sharing with you that i tried making these nutella bites, but i guess the baking time was a bit too much in my oven and they came out very cakeish so i’ve upgraded them.
Here’s a link to my blog if you want to see. It’s in hebrew so if you want you can translate it to english with google translator or just see the pictures :)

Al Topher November 13, 2012 at 2:06 am

These are terrible brownies; basically the equivalent of foam. I did everything on the list and they were tasteless and bouncy. I could bounce them on the floor; which I did multiple times and provided entertainment but no nourishment. They were packing peanuts to put it simply. Can you please tell me what went wrong?

lmachell November 13, 2012 at 7:34 pm

I’m not sure what went wrong. I find that this recipe sometimes doesn’t work like it’s supposed to for some people. It’s funny how you can get such different results from such a simple recipe.

Lisa November 15, 2012 at 7:48 pm

I just made these and they are great! I had to make them with gluten free flour, which I was nervous about but they were just as good! I also, did not measure so I got 11 of them but they turned out gooey and moist. Thank you for the recipe!

Anna November 17, 2012 at 3:49 pm

these are legit super delicious!!
totally satisfied my cravings for something rich and chocolatey
i had a huge container of nutella and didn’t know what to do with it but this recipe solved my problem

i don’t usually post reviews either…
but this one deserves it
simple and yummicilious

Christina November 29, 2012 at 7:16 pm

I just made these tonight, after doing a Pinterest search for Nutella recipes. I live in Tanzania, where some food items can be hard to find…but there is Nutella! This recipe was so easy to whip up while getting my dinner ready and made a great treat for our guests. Thanks for sharing!

Diamond December 17, 2012 at 5:35 am

I just baked these and didn’t have quite a cup of nutella, so I added some biscoff cookie spread(if you can find those cookies, you’re in heaven) anyway, the flavor was wonderful. Thanks!

Stephanie January 8, 2013 at 1:20 am

Made these tonight…well, my 9 year old actually did most of the work and they were DELICIOUS. She topped them with peanut butter, hershey kisses and one with marshmallow fluff cream. :-) Needless to say this is a fast favorite and EASY…and did I mention delicious!!!!

Tali January 16, 2013 at 4:17 am

I shouldn’t have used a Nutella substitute!! Darn it, darn it, darn it, these brownies aren’t chocolatey at all. I used Trader Joe’s “Cocoa Almond Spread”, which was apparently a bad choice. The brownies are the right consistency and everything, they just don’t taste like brownies! Lesson learned: accept no (Nutella) substitutes!

vicky February 9, 2013 at 12:56 pm

I added a few crushed chocolate coated peanuts to mine…about half a cup….lush and so easy to make!

meital March 19, 2013 at 8:11 am

These look amazing! and so easy!
I have a blog that collects all the great things that can be done in 5 minutes and this is a perfect fit…Can I have your permission to share this recipe (and link back here of course) in it?

lmachell March 28, 2013 at 6:13 am

Absolutely! Of course : ) Thank you!

Rebecca March 25, 2013 at 11:01 am

Love love love this recipe! So easy and delicious. The trickiest thing was converting Fahrenheit to Celsius and there are online converters to do this for me…(obviously easy recipe) I made it with gluten free all purpose plain flour, as I’m coeliac, and it worked. Same amount of flour.
Thank you for this yummy treat. Had many people demand this recipe from me

Michelle April 4, 2013 at 5:25 pm

These were soooo easy to make and delicious. Thanks for the recipe! I will definitely make them again. Perfect when you need a dessert in a pinch!

Stacey May 7, 2013 at 7:54 pm

Do you think these would work with a gluten-free baking mix? I would love to make these, but I don’t eat wheat.

Sara May 21, 2013 at 8:14 pm

These are super yummy! Just enough Nutella flavor in each “bite”. Thanks for this easy recipe :)

zainub June 6, 2013 at 12:06 pm

Two questions: (a) can I microwave them instead of baking?
(b) Can I make these in a normal baking pan instead of the muffin tins?

lmachell June 7, 2013 at 9:41 am

Those are both very good questions, and since I have never tried either of those techniques I am going to have to say no… it just doesn’t seem likely it will work on either count. But they are quick and easy enough to make- try it and let me know! : )

SM June 22, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Hey, just wondering how much nutella (in grams) is ‘one cup’? these look AMAZING, I need them in my life!

Alexandria July 3, 2013 at 4:29 am

Hey there! I’ve done every prep step and now I’m on to baking, and so far 12 minutes did not cook them fully, not sure if I should pull them out or allow to bake for a few more minutes. If I leave them in the oven how much longer would you suggest?

lmachell July 3, 2013 at 10:38 am

Well, they are supposed to be really gooey. They won’t allow a toothpick to come out clean or anything. Maybe they are already done and they are just not turning out like you thought they would? I mean, they are pretty moist so you could probably put them in for 20 minutes if you had to.

Gail July 17, 2013 at 7:32 pm

I just quadrupled the recipe and poured the batter onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Baked for about 20 minutes. Looks fantastic!!!

kristina August 7, 2013 at 3:30 am

First review I have wrote on a recipe and I try at least three new ones a week. These were sooo good and easy. Substituted 1/2 cup applesauce and a little baking powder for eggs because I dont eat meat or eggs and they turned out great. Thank you.

lmachell August 7, 2013 at 6:37 am

That’s awesome- thanks for sharing! I was actually wondering myself if there was a way to make them vegan.

paola January 25, 2014 at 10:59 pm

Que significa tb?

Amoreciao89 February 12, 2014 at 3:47 am

@Paloa tablespoon

Amoreciao89 February 12, 2014 at 3:52 am

Loved the recipe!! thanks :-D

organic chocolate March 26, 2014 at 9:51 pm

Hello! I simply would like to offer you a big thumbs up for the great information you’ve got right here on this
post. I’ll be coming back to your website for more soon.

Sunnie August 23, 2014 at 2:46 am

Thanks for posting, I had this recipe before and I lost it! We were so upset! :) I like to double it, easy to make and eat! I found yours on pinterest. Thanks again.

dickinson nd September 2, 2014 at 11:41 pm

It’s great that you are getting ideas from this piece of writing as well
as from our argument made here.

Shrishti September 5, 2014 at 3:40 am

Hi Laural,
wanted to know what paper liners are…
Know it is a boring question but I am not a good baker so I do not know much,
Thank you for the simple recipe, I am going to get baking after my answer is given…

martingale guardian zw0716 18 October 14, 2014 at 12:53 am

Good post! We are linking to this great post on our
website. Keep up the good writing.