The HEALTHIEST Chocolate Pudding!

April 18, 2012

CHOCOLATE PUDDING

So! This recipe is for the open-minded. For those individuals that are always seeking to create healthier options in their diet, no matter how strange the combinations may be. And for all of you close-minded folk that don’t veer from the meat and potatoes path- just hear me out!

Have you ever used silken tofu in a dessert before? Maybe to make something vegan or at least a bit more nutritious? If you haven’t you should. Silken tofu is like this magical ingredient that gives you a custard-like texture without all the saturated fat, cholesterol, and calories. And it is virtually tasteless so it’s perfect to use in desserts! I was first turned on to the idea when I made this Moo-less Chocolate Pie by Alton Brown last year. It sounded interesting and I was willing to trust his food science ways, having faith that he knew what he was doing. OMG. It was awesome! There is no way you would ever know there was tofu in it if somebody didn’t tell you. The same thing goes for this pudding recipe, which I have crafted from Alton’s pie. It’s creamy and chocolate-y, plus it’s fairly nutritious.

The best part about this pudding is that I am not going to feel guilty about giving a few bites to my daughter. Granted, I shouldn’t be condoning sweets in her diet at such a young age, but with a Mom that is virtually in the kitchen 90% of the day, it’s an unavoidable battle. I figure if I am going to introduce her to sweets, I might want to at least start formulating a way to make them better for her. This is the perfect solution!

I am also toying with the idea of adding a pureed avocado. Maybe a tablespoon or so of cocoa powder to balance it back out. I just love using pureed avocado in desserts. It’s another sneaky trick. Most of you probably think that idea is crazy, but you’d be surprised to learn that in many cultures avocados are consumed only as something sweet, not savory. And when paired with chocolate, it’s flavor is masked well. Anyways, that’s just another idea for all of you out there that try to do these crazy things with your food. I know I’m not alone!

chocolate pudding

Also, the pudding comes out of the food processor fairly thin- you need to refrigerate it to thicken up. Don’t worry, it will thicken perfectly!

Tofu Chocolate Pudding
Author:
Serves: 6

• 16 oz silken tofu, drained of excess liquid
  • 12 oz bag semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips
  • ¼ cup milk (cows, almond, coconut, any liquid really)
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • pinch of salt
  1. Melt chocolate chips and milk in heat proof bowl over simmering water. In the bowl of a food processor combine tofu, melted chocolate mixture, vanilla, and salt. Process for 1-2 minutes or until completely smooth. Cool in refrigerator to thicken until well chilled.

Sounds Wonderful! April 19, 2012 at 12:07 am

Looks wonderful!

Jesica @ Pencil Kitchen April 19, 2012 at 3:27 am

I can’t believe it has tofu!! Wow… I always have faith in alton brown too! Must say his recipes are always awesome!

cindy April 20, 2012 at 12:10 am

Thanks for the recipe! I just made it and it seems thinner than pudding; does it thicken when cooled?

Cindy

lmachell April 20, 2012 at 3:41 am

Yes, it does thicken once it cools. I should mention that in the post. I’ll go back and do that.

Jo June 27, 2012 at 5:55 pm

This pudding is AMAZING. I forgot to stir up my can of coconut milk before pouring it into the measuring cup, so I ended up with a 1/4 cup of very thick coconut milk. Maybe that’s why mine wasn’t thin at all? Once I refrigerated it, it became a bit like a mousse. DELICIOUS.

dotties November 13, 2013 at 9:20 am

Losing weight is not a magic, you will need to work hard onto it, you will need to do workouts possibly at the same time eat healthy diets to
get rid of weight. If you try your best to keep up an ideal
body weight and minimize excess body fat you should consider eating the right
kind of food, and consider getting involved in sporting activities that can sensibly decrease your
weight few pounds or more inside a short length of time.

Add a twist of acid for flavor enhancement. Here are the
top foods to lose weight so you get remove every one of the
calories effectively in the quickest possible
way. Avoid taking junk food, alcohols, drugs and beverages that incorporate high sugar levels.

caveman diet food list November 18, 2013 at 2:25 am

Do you wish to lose 10 pounds in a day 5 pounds in a day or 1 pound per
day. This could lead one to eating more, so transform it into a habit to
keep yourself hydrated after meal or possibly a glass before meal.
Add a twist of acid for flavor enhancement.

Before you begin choosing a good diet, you must know body mass index (BMI).
When an individual is unable to take control of theireating, fortunately they are likely to escape controlwith other elements
of their life also.