I’ve never been one for pudding. It’s just not my thing. Like I’ve said before, I need texture. I LOVE my bars and cookies chocked full of goodies and my ice cream brimming with add-ins- thus my love affair with Ben & Jerry’s. So pudding doesn’t exactly turn my crank. This particular dessert takes pudding to a whole new level though. It’s not simply pudding. It’s a bar. It’s a cake. It’s a delicious, multi-layer dessert. And guess what? There is texture.
You start off with the simplest pecan crust.
Smooth on a layer of sweetened cream cheese….
Top THAT with your favorite instant pudding flavor.
And do not even think about forgetting the whipped topping. Whipped topping makes everything magical, don’t you agree?
SEE! Not just your everyday pudding. So much more. And the options are endless. You can choose whatever pudding flavor you prefer depending on taste or even the season. For example, the pumpkin spice instant pudding would be great in November or December, and the lemon would be fantastic in the Spring or Summer. And there are all the other many flavors to choose from- banana, coconut, cheesecake, Oreo, vanilla, chocolate, etc. I chose butterscotch simply because I thought the carmel-like flavor would pair really well with the pecans, and it did. But as I said, what pudding you use is totally your call! Thats what really makes this dessert so fun and versatile. Not to mention that it is SUPER simple!
And even though you do have to bake the pecan crust, I still think this dessert is the perfect summer time treat. It’s refrigerated and served chilled so it’s cool and refreshing. Although, don’t count on it being light… it definitely is a bit decadent for a pudding.
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 3 Tb sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1½ sticks (3/4 cup) butter, melted
- CREAM CHEESE LAYER:
- 1 (8oz) package of cream cheese, soft
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- FILLING & TOPPING:
- 2 (8 oz) containers cool whip (or one 16 ozz container)
- 2 small packages (3.4oz) of Jello instant pudding flavor of choice
- 3 cup cold milk
- For the Crust: Combine butter, flour, chopped pecans and sugar and press into a 9" x 13" baking dish. Bake at 375°F for 10-15 minutes. Let cool completely.
- For the Cream Cheese Layer: Beat cream cheese, powdered sugar until smooth. Fold in 1½ cups cool whip until fully incorporated. Spread over crust.
- For the Pudding Layer: Mix pudding mixes with cold milk, whisking for several minutes. Set it in the fridge for 5-10 minutes to let it thicken. Spread over the cream cheese layer. Top with remaining container of cool whip.
- Cut into squares to serve. Keep refrigerated.
adapted from Sweet Treats and More