Blueberry Buckle

June 14, 2012

blueberry buckle

Summertime is truly the best season to indulge in berries. I personally always wait until they’re nice and flavorful this time of year before I start baking with them. Otherwise they are going to be so bland tasting! Just completely flavorless, which in turn makes whatever you are baking completely flavorless as well! I can’t stand that.

That statement holds more true for this breakfast cake than anything I’ve ever baked with blueberries, second only to pie. Blueberry Buckle is a gorgeous cross between a cakey cobbler and a coffee cake. It’s essentially a blueberry coffee cake on steroids, if you will. Almost 75% blueberries to 25% cake. Traditionally, it is topped with some sort of streusel or crumble, which makes it all the more similar to coffee cake.

blueberry buckle

So in reality you have to be a die-hard blueberry fan to enjoy this dessert/breakfast treat. I just so happen to be exactly that : D I LOVE blueberries! And don’t even get me started on my love affair with breakfast cakes… let’s just say that this buckle was a homerun for me. It turned out a perfectly moist cake, chocked full of blueberries, with a special little streusel crunch on top. Simply divine.

Don’t forget though!! Without fantastic blueberries this cake will be terrible. I mean think about it- if awful, flavorless blueberries make up about 75% of this cake what are the chances it’s going to be any good??? Come on now.

blueberry buckle

• Cake:
  • 1½ cups (7.5 oz) all purpose flour
  • 1½ tsp baking powder
  • 10 Tb unsalted butter, softened
  • ⅔ cup (4⅔ oz) granulated sugar
  • ½ tsp salt
  • ½ tsp grated lemon zest
  • 1½ tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs, room temperature
  • 20 oz (4 cups) blueberries
  1. For the Streusel: Using stand mixer fitted with paddle, combine flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, and salt on low speed until well combined and no large brown sugar clumps remain, about 45 seconds. Add butter; beat on low speed until mixture resembles wet sand and no large butter pieces remain, about 2½ minutes. Transfer to bowl; set aside.
  2. For the Cake: Preheat oven to 350°F and grease and flour a 9″ round cake pan.
  3. Whisk flour and baking powder together in bowl; set aside. Using stand mixer fitted with paddle, beat butter, sugar, salt, and zest on med-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes, scraping down bowl as necessary. Beat in vanilla until combined, about 30 seconds. With mixer on medium speed, add eggs 1 at a time; beat until partially incorporated, scrape down bowl, and continue to beat until fully incorporated (mixture will appear broken). With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture; beat until flour is almost fully incorporated, about 20 seconds. Stir batter with rubber spatula, scraping bowl, until no flour pockets remain and batter is homogeneous; batter will be very heavy and thick. Gently fold in blueberries until evenly distributed.
  4. Transfer batter to pan. Spread batter evenly to pan edges and smooth surface. Squeeze portion of streusel in hand to form large cohesive clump; break up clump with fingers and sprinkle streusel evenly over batter. Repeat with remaining streusel.
  5. Bake until cake is deep golden brown and toothpick comes out clean, about 55 minutes. Transfer to wire rack and let cool.

TastefullyJulie June 15, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Gorgeous! My husband’s family has a blueberry farm so I am pinning this for blueberry season!

jules June 17, 2012 at 12:52 am

wow…looks fabulous. i love the 4…FOUR cups of blueberries AND the thick streusel topping…YUM, great post

lmachell June 17, 2012 at 12:03 pm

haha yeah it’s a pretty darn delicious combo!

Amy June 18, 2012 at 4:16 pm

I found you on FoodGawker and made this last night. It came out absolutely perfect.
Only thing I would say is that it came right to the brim of a standard 9″ round layer cake pan. Might try to use something deeper next time. It didn’t overflow, but was scary for a moment.

As you said, there was just enough batter to hold the blueberries together. DELICIOUS! Mine didn’t quite cut neatly enough to get photos as nice as yours. Not sure if there is a trick to that.
THANK YOU for this recipe. I will make it again and again…..
Amy

lmachell June 18, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Glad to hear that you had such great success!

Malin August 23, 2012 at 7:54 pm

I did so not need to see this now…that thick layer of streusel, and those huge berries… Come to me through the screen now, please!!!

Jenny August 2, 2013 at 6:45 am

I don’t have a stand mixer with a paddle. Will it still turn out right?

lmachell August 3, 2013 at 12:01 pm

Of course, just use a hand mixer instead.

Amanda w August 22, 2013 at 8:44 pm

Would this recipe work with frozen blueberries as well?

lmachell August 27, 2013 at 6:48 pm

Absolutely! Use them frozen and not defrosted.

Pinky February 4, 2014 at 1:08 am

Made this yesterday and when I added the blueberries I thought there were too many and it would just turn out to be a mushy mess. Absolutely wrong and it was spectacular! Sliced perfectly, just like a photo and was delicious–one of the best I’ve ever tried. Yes, you need a rather deep pan but I used a 9″ springform and it was just right. Topping a little heavy but crunchy and delicious. Will most certainly make this again…and again…and again…

Linda Melchiano March 1, 2014 at 2:12 pm

Will make this today for my grandsons.. sounds delicious! love many of your recipes and am looking forward to trying. thank you for great reading and visuals… will let you know how much these were enjoyed.

Noel Rose June 24, 2014 at 2:11 am

Well I am no baker. I could probably count on my gingers the amount of items I have baked. Well I tried this tonight because I had a bunch of fresh blueberries from my bushes. Guess what! Turned out great and is so yummy. Thanks for sharing.

Amanda July 12, 2014 at 7:40 pm

Could you make this in a 9×13 pan??

Jessica July 30, 2014 at 12:38 am

This looks great!!! Will it freeze? I have access to lots of berries and would love to make a few to freeze.

deneen August 15, 2014 at 6:55 pm

WOW! This was SO easy, and such a guilty pleasure for breakfast. With so many blueberries, it’s gotta be a healthy choice, right? Thanks for sharing. This will be a go-to recipe for brunch, and all around good dessert.

carly September 1, 2014 at 6:31 am

Hi, can I make this in a 9×13 pan? And if so what amount of time and degree? Thanks!