Fun, fun, fun! I can’t wait for my daughter to be old enough to do cute projects like this in the kitchen… kids just love sprinkles and any kind of decorating that they can help with. These Crispy Rice Cupcakes have their name written all over it.
And these treats are not just for Holidays- you can use rainbow sprinkles and make them any time of the year for any reason, or maybe no reason at all! Going with the theme of the last few weeks, I made mine for the 4th of July. I found some great red, white, and blue sprinkles that also had stars in them and they just worked out beautifully. The original recipe came from a Paula Deen baking magazine and she used chocolate-flavored candy coating and rainbow non-parels. Hers were shaped much nicer, but mine ended up much cuter : D
If you’ve ever made rice crispy treats before, you know how easy they are. These are just as easy except for a few extra added ingredients- peanut butter, vanilla extract, and sprinkles. It’s the sprinkles that really get you. If you stir them in too much they start to melt from the heat. Mine totally melted and started to look almost unrecognizable. So, just try your best to stir briefly.
Shaping them is also a bit tricky. The rice crispy mixture is pretty hot right out of the pot- very hard to handle in your hands directly. And one they start to cool, they can be hard to do what you want. My crispy cupcakes suffered because of this. They did not fill the cupcake tin like they were supposed to. They were just little tiny balls, deformed, not at all resembling a cupcake shape. And I got WAY more than 18 out of them… more like 4 dozen! So you can see that I didn’t do the best job. BUT! That’s just a poor reflection on my skills, not on the quality of the recipe. It’s definitely doable. And even if they come out a little rough like mine, they still taste wonderful. AND once you cover them with the candy coating and the sprinkles, they look much better no matter what ; )
- 6 Tb butter
- 2 (10.5 oz) packages miniature marshmallows
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 (12 oz) box crispy rice cereal
- 3 (2 oz) bottles colored sprinkles, divided
- 1 (16 oz) package chocolate or vanilla flavored candy coating
- Spray 18 muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over med-low heat. Add marshmallows and cook, stirring constantly, until melted and smooth. Remove from heat; stir in peanut butter and vanilla. Add cereal and 2 bottles sprinkles, stirring gently until combined.
- Using greased hands, press mixture evenly into prepared muffin cups, mounding mixture into a cupcake shape. Cool for at least 1 hour. remove cupcakes from pans.
- Dip tops of cupcakes in melted candy coating; immediately top with remaining sprinkles.