Ground Turkey Stroganoff

July 16, 2012

ground turkey stroganoff

I’m ALL about creamy pasta dishes! And I rarely ever get the chance to have them since I only make them few and far between for health reasons. But seriously, I could something creamy and decadent for dinner at least once a week, the rest of my life and be perfectly satisfied. My Husband on the other hand… he can NOT stand creamy dishes. I feel like it’s the most frustrating thing that we have differing opinions on. He won’t go near mayonnaise or macaroni and cheese and well, you get the idea. So this dish would be out of the picture for him entirely. Especially since it has mushrooms- he won’t go there either. Personally, I say “bring on the creamy sauces”! And I would never say no to a mushroom- I think they’re delicious : )

ground turkey stroganoff

Stroganoff is a really great dish. It’s roots are Russian and it’s most traditionally comprised of beef strips or chunks, mushrooms, and a sour cream based sauce. Oh my goodness is it goooood! I have to admit though, I don’t eat beef so my only experience with the dish has been with turkey- but! I thought the turkey stroganoff was great. This recipe in particular has really impressed me. I found it a little bit challenging to find a ground turkey stroganoff recipe that didn’t use cream of mushroom soups. I wanted a real sour cream sauce recipe. I ran into this one on The Rachel Ray Show website and thought I could use it for a base recipe and build off of it to make it my own.

ground turkey stroganoff

I added slightly more mushroom than called for in the recipe, simply because I love mushrooms. I also added some dry sherry to bump up the savory flavor. I tinkered with the liquids a bit, added 1/2 cup more liquid, so as to cut down on the amount of sour cream. Overall, I think the results were stellar! I couldn’t be happy with how flavorful and easy this recipe was. Even my Dad thought it was great and he is VERY hard to impress with food. Definitely a keeper : )

ground turkey stroganoff

Ground Turkey Stroganoff
Serves: 4 to 6

• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • ½ cup chopped yellow onion
  • 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
  • 1½ pounds ground turkey
  • 2 Tb dry sherry, optional
  • ¾ cup beef broth
  • ¾ cup milk
  • 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
  • 1 pound egg noodles
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
  • Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
  • Special Seasoning:
  • ¼ cup all-purpose flour
  • 2½ teaspoons seasoned salt
  • ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
  • 2 teaspoons garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
  1. In a large, heavy saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and mushrooms and cook for about 5 minutes, or until soft. Add the turkey, breaking it up with a spoon, and cook until browned. Add the special seasoning ingredients and stir to thoroughly combine. Stir in the broth, milk and mustard. Bring to a boil over high heat then reduce heat to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes, until nicely thickened.
  2. While the sauce is simmering, cook the egg noodles in a large pot of salted boiling water for 8-9 minutes, or until al dente. Drain, return noodles to the pan, and toss with the butter so the noodles won’t stick together. Cover loosely to keep warm.
  3. Stir the sour cream into the sauce and heat through. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add to the warm buttered egg noodles and toss to coat. Served garnished with parsley.
Notes
As the pasta cools or sits in the fridge, the sauce will thicken quite a bit more. Loosen with some more sour cream or broth/milk.

adapted from The Rachel Ray Show

Medeja July 17, 2012 at 12:45 am

Yummy! This kind of stroganoff is new to me. But looks like a great dish for dinner.

ATasteOfMadness July 18, 2012 at 1:17 am

I have never tried stroganoff. This looks delicious, I also LOVE creamy pasta dishes, yum 🙂

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes July 18, 2012 at 4:23 am

I love stroganoff!! This looks SUPER delicious and much healthier than the beef version. Nice recipe 🙂

Lee Ann October 19, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Just made this for supper tonight. Delicious!

Katie @ On the Banks of Squaw Creek May 20, 2013 at 9:28 pm

soooo, what if I don’t have any sour cream, but I want to make this RIGHT NOW? Any substitution ideas?

lmachell May 23, 2013 at 4:23 am

haha possibly yogurt??

Raina November 6, 2013 at 1:43 am

Do you think this could be done in the crock pot?? Sounds delish!

Sharmin August 10, 2014 at 11:12 pm

Made this tonight… Super easy and very yummy! The fam loved it and say it’s a def keeper 🙂

PS
I tried to give it 5 stars but it wouldn’t let me, sorry 🙁

AnnaMarie DiNisio August 17, 2014 at 1:32 pm

I am trying this tomorrow and am so excited! Will comment again after I try it

Lauren April 23, 2015 at 1:12 pm

What a fantastic dish. This dish was a favorite of mine growing up! The finished dish tastes almost exactly like original beef Stroganoff. I made some adjustments to the recipe to make it a bit more “healthy”: I didn’t have egg noddles so I used whole wheat pasta, substituted the sour cream for plain Greek yogurt, and substituted the whole milk for almond milk . Only add salt to your pasta their is enough salt in the seasoning salt. Some sauteed broccoli would be a great addition. Will definitely keep this recipe around and share with friends and family!

Kathy Enders August 22, 2015 at 4:38 am

We had this tonight and loved it. I only had one pound of ground turkey but made the recipe as written. It got very thick so I think I might cut back a bit on the flour next time. I also cooked 4 oz of noodles which was plenty for us and used 1% milk. I completely forgot to add the sour cream at the end which might have made it a bit less thick if I’d added it. I added more beef broth to the leftovers and will add sour cream to them when we eat them.

A definitely keeper recipe.

Ashley September 22, 2015 at 9:40 pm

Yum. Made it for dinner. Dont skip the thyme or nutmeg. Fresh parsley at the end would be a nice touch if you have it on hand. Very good weeknight dinner!

josh November 19, 2015 at 9:21 pm

Really good, i used red wine instead of sherry. I would use less salt next time

Nicole January 18, 2016 at 11:21 pm

Can I make this without sour cream or greek yogurt? I have neither!

Alan Givens February 15, 2016 at 1:01 pm

This was an awesome dish, and made terrific left overs for lunch the following days.

Eaglestar October 21, 2016 at 3:58 am

20 ingredients??? I pass

Tanya January 10, 2017 at 3:33 pm

Try adding Cumin and Caraway Seeds to this as well. Traditional Austrian Stroganoff has these two and that’s how i always make it. Adds so much depth to the flavor over all!

Deep Web April 6, 2017 at 7:19 am

I recently make a turkey meatball recipe that used Amy’s chunky tomato bisque for the sauce and I put it over spaghetti squash, you could also make the recipe using lot’s of different farmers market veggies.