Have I mentioned before my obsession with s’mores? Man, do I love ‘em… I could sit down in front of a fire and eat 5 and then still want more. I really can’t get enough. This is my second “s’more” flavored dessert this summer. I’ve yet to enjoy an actual s’more, but I did make some S’more Brownies. They didn’t come out exactly as I had dreamed. I’ve been wanting a s’more bar that could characterize the ultra gooey, melty, messiness that is in a s’mores nature. I just couldn’t make it work with the brownies. But these!! These S’more Bars were a complete killer. They nailed it- everything I wished I could find in a s’more bar, these were.
The chocolate and marshmallow were gooey and melty, running every where and making a complete mess.
The Graham Cracker Cookie was moist and chewy, with a nice graham cracker flavor.
There was only one problem that I saw with this recipe- the assembly was a tad tedious. And personally I thought it could have used maybe 1 1/2 times the amount of cookie dough. I didn’t quite have enough for the top layer so I had to quickly throw together a half batch to patch things up.
Basically you start out with a bottom layer of graham cracker cookie pressed into an 8″ square pan.
Then you snuggly fit in a nice layer of chocolate. Preferably Hershey’s Milk Chocolate of course.
I actually used Hershey’s Special Dark because I’m a big dark chocolate fan.
I also used GIANT bars and not KING sized bars. They ended up being too big. Go figure.
Then you spread on a nice layer of fluff.
I kind of eye-balled mine instead of measuring it in cups. Fluff is too sticky to mess with in measuring cups.
I think I ended up adding a bit too much though…
And then here comes the tricky part-
You need to “shingle” together the top layer.
Basically, take small pieces of dough and flatten them in your fingers, then arrange them next to each other on top of the fluff.
Makes sense? I hope so.
Once baked, sliced, and served, you’ll have the most ammmmmazing and delicious, gooey S’more Bars of your life!
Seriously, I love these guys.
They are the perfect s’more recipe replica.
Even my sneaky little daughter had to get a piece of the action-
standing under me, sticking her little baby fingers into the melty goo while I am trying to take photos.
haha LOVE her! A girl after my own heart : )
- ½ cup butter, room temperature
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1⅓ cups all purpose flour
- ¾ cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 king-sized milk chocolate bars (e.g. Hershey’s)
- 1½ cups marshmallow creme/fluff (not melted marshmallows)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light. Beat in egg and vanilla. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder and salt. Add to butter mixture and mix at a low speed until combined.
- Divide dough in half and press half of dough into an even layer on the bottom of the prepared pan. Place chocolate bars over dough. 2 king-sized Hershey’s bars should fit perfectly side by side, but break the chocolate (if necessary) to get it to fit in a single layer no more than ¼ inch thick. Spread chocolate with marshmallow creme or fluff. Place remaining dough in a single layer on top of the fluff (most easily achieved by flattening the dough into small shingles and laying them together).
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until lightly browned. Cool completely before cutting into bars.
adapted from Wit & Whistle