July Daring Bakers Challenge!

July 27, 2012

goldfish crackers

For July we were challenged to make two homemade cracker recipes. How fun! Crackers are one of those things that you kind of take advantage of and don’t think to make yourself very often or maybe not at all. I chose to make one savory cracker and one cracker that was a little sweeter in nature : ) And now that I am looking at the mandatory aspects of the challenge, we were actually supposed to use two different techniques with these crackers. I kind of missed that- whoops : / Instead of doing one recipe hand rolled and the other pasta machine rolled or iced box-sliced, I did two hand rolled. My bad. Either way the challenge was a complete success for me!

The first cracker that I made was a “Goldfish” Cheddar Cheese Cracker. Since I didn’t have a goldfish cutter, I made the crackers into simple circles using the large, round side of a pastry tip. And BOY were they easy to make! Just toss the four ingredients into a food processor to combine then add a touch of butter to help the dough come together. Easy as that. The most difficult thing was to roll out the dough and cut out all those tiny little crackers…. talk about tedious!

goldfish crackers

They ended up coming out simply delicious! I don’t know why I haven’t been baking homemade cheese crackers this whole time- they’re so easy and flavorful. And they have got to be better than the store bought ones. I mean after all, they have no additives, dyes, or preservatives.

Now, if I was impressed with the cheese crackers, then I was completely bowled over by my second cracker- Graham Crackers! WOW. Homemade graham crackers are phenomenal. I think they’re the type of cookie people should really try making at least once in their life. They use a simple creaming method to make the batter and then are rolled out and cut into squares. NOT difficult! Unfortunately, I can only fit one recipe card on a post though, so I will have to wait to share that one with you. Keep your eyes open for it next week : )

goldfish crackers

July Daring Bakers Challenge!

• 8 ounces, weight Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Shredded
  • 4 Tablespoons Butter, Cut Into Cubes
  • 1 cup Flour
  • ¾ teaspoons Salt
  • 2 Tablespoons Cold Water
  1. Pulse everything (except water) together in the food processor until the dough resembles coarse sand.
  2. Pulse in water, 1 tablespoon at a time.
  3. Remove dough from the processor, wrap in plastic, and chill for 20 minutes.
  4. Roll out the dough and cut into desired shapes. You can use a toothpick to make the eyes and smile if desired. Place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
  5. Bake at 350°F for about 15 minutes, or until crispy.

adapted from Miss Amy

Barbara July 27, 2012 at 8:16 pm

These look good! I bet they would be fun to serve with chilled wine before dinner. I’m going to try them.

bourbonnatrix July 27, 2012 at 11:50 pm

love your crackers! they look all tiny, perfect and crispy! your photography is beautiful too :) congrats on the challenge!

Mary Kay July 28, 2012 at 3:55 am

I make a similar cracker that calls for some cayenne pepper, which is awesome. Made them for a function once and accidentally spilled quite a bit of extra cayenne in the mix. Interestingly enough, they were more popular than the normal ones!

Korena July 28, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Your “goldfish” crackers look so tasty! My bf loves goldfish so I think I need to try them. And I will be checking back for your graham crackers – they are high on my “to make” list!

RecipeNewZ July 28, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Great recipe and very popular on RecipeNewZ :-) . You have another feature on our Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/RecipeNewZ
Congratulations and have a yummy weekend!

Kim July 30, 2012 at 2:47 am

Those are so cute! I’m jealous. They look perfect and tasty. Nice job on the challenge!

Moriah November 28, 2012 at 8:43 pm

Hey- I was curious appr. how many does this recipe make? Thanks. :)

lmachell November 28, 2012 at 9:30 pm

That’s a good question. It all depends on how big your cookie cutter is. I used a 1/2″ diameter circle and it made 4 dozen or so… quite a bit.

b March 7, 2013 at 6:22 pm

someone on pinterest says that they used alomond flour as a sub for the 1 cup of flour….is this somethign that you recomend to make these gluten free?? or would you need to actually sub a cup of gluten free mix with xanathan gum??

lmachell March 11, 2013 at 8:39 pm

Honestly I have never worked with gluten free mix or xanathan gum before so I can’t say. But I am sure you could substitute out with a nut flour- the texture might vary slightly, but it will still work.

Cheyene Sapien May 13, 2013 at 11:22 pm

This sounds SO good! I’m gonna have to try this recipe!

Patti Walsh March 6, 2014 at 3:21 am

Saw this called for almond flour and i am allergic to almonds, but then saw you could use reg flour. Can’t wait to try them. I think i have some small cutters. I habpve made graham crackers, too, and they are really good. I have a sodium intolerance, so it is nice to make safe things I can eat.