Slutty Brownies

August 13, 2012

Slutty Brownies

Oh man, do I have an awesome story about these bad boys. I’ve seen these “Slutty” Brownies all over the blogosphere and they just sounded so wonderfully decadent that I couldn’t help but put them on my “to do” list. I had to wait a while before I had a chance to make them though, since baking decadent things like this for just myself can only end in disaster. So I was holding out for a crowd. Well, I recently went to New Hampshire to visit my Husbands family and they are quite extensive in numbers, so I knew they’d be the perfect audience.

I’ve seen lots of recipes online for these that are made simply from boxed mixes to simplify things. I’m not big on pre-made cookie dough mixes or refrigerated cookie dough. I don’t mind boxed brownie mix much, but I would much rather make my own cookie dough. So I decided to create my own Slutty Brownie recipe out of my favorite brownie and blondie recipe. At first I thought to just use a cookie dough recipe, but the blondie bars just work out so much better.

NOW, here is an awesome story for ya. Do you ever run into a lot of “kitchen errors” when you are working out of somebody else’s kitchen? Well I was in the “camp” kitchen in New Hampshire, where I put together a batch of cookie dough and brownie batter. I got the whole thing in the oven after much effort and mess, but the brownie batter was really thick. I almost couldn’t spread it because of how thick it was. It had been a while since I had made this recipe, so I wasn’t sure if this was normal or not. I just went with it. Once the pan was done baking I knew something was wrong. The brownie top looked hard and dry. Very odd. I had remembered that I accidentally didn’t add the extra 2 Tb of water, so I thought that was the problem. Although I was thinking, “WOW, what a difference 2 Tb of water makes!!” Yeah…. I took a sample bite to see if they tasted better than they looked and I immediately knew what had happened. I forgot to add the sugar. I FORGOT TO ADD THE SUGAR. How could I possibly have forgotten such a vital step!? I was SO upset. Not only did I waste a bunch of money and time, but now the bars were all but inedible.

After that disaster I was bound and determined to make a new batch that was successful. So I did. Although this batch was very underdone because I didn’t account for the extra thickness in the baking time, they were still delicious! Especially after that first batch- YUCK! And who doesn’t like their brownies a bit gooey anyways?

Slutty Brownies recipe

One thing is for sure though, these bars are so decadent and sweet, that I think they would be better with a regular Oreo rather than the double stuffed. But I might be partial because I’m not a huge double stuffed Oreo fan anyways… Oh and be aware that these bars are tall so they make a lot more than a normal batch of brownies on its own. You could probably serve twice as many people with these bars since you end up cutting them so small in an effort not to overwhelm people. Feel free to make things easier on yourself though and use boxed mixes rather than making everything from scratch : )

Slutty Brownies

• 2 large eggs
  • 1½ tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 (12 oz) bag semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1 package Oreo Cookies
  • For the Brownie Layer:
  • ⅓ cup Dutch-processed cocoa
  • 1½ teaspoons instant espresso (optional)
  • ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons boiling water
  • 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
  • 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
  • ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 large egg yolks
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2½ cups (17½ ounces) sugar
  • 1¾ cups (8¾ ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour
  • ¾ teaspoon table salt
  1. For the Cookie Base: Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9″ x 13″ pan with parchment or grease well. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk brown sugar and melted butter together. Add eggs and vanilla and mix well. Using rubber spatula, fold dry ingredients into egg mixture until just combined. Do NOT overmix. Fold in chocolate chips. Pour into the prepared pan and smooth out the top.
  3. Layer Oreo’s across cookie dough as tightly as possible, breaking any extra cookies to fit empty spaces.
  4. For the Brownie Layer: Whisk cocoa, espresso powder (if using), and boiling water together in large bowl until smooth. Add unsweetened chocolate and whisk until chocolate is melted. Whisk in melted butter and oil. (Mixture may look curdled.) Add eggs, yolks, and vanilla and continue to whisk until smooth and homogeneous. Whisk in sugar until fully incorporated. Add flour and salt and mix with rubber spatula until combined.
  5. Spread batter over Oreo layer and bake until toothpick inserted halfway between edge and center comes out with just a few moist crumbs attached, 50 to 60 minutes. Transfer pan to wire rack and cool 1½ hours.

Mel B. August 13, 2012 at 7:30 pm

I’ve been wanting to make slutty brownies with friends for AGES, and now I definitely have to give them a whirl! Your pictures make them look soooo great.

Definitely bookmarking!

amy@currylime August 14, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Are you kidding me? Too good to be true. You have a very naughty mind!! :-)

Mercedes August 14, 2012 at 4:33 pm

These look to-die-for! All of the best things combined into one dessert!

Malin August 23, 2012 at 7:32 pm

I love slutty desserts! And all brownies should be at least somewhat slutty, that´s what they´re all about! These look (and sound) amaaaazing…. (and come to think about it, I have cookie dough and oreos waiting to be used – I think it´s a sign! ;)

CristinA August 31, 2012 at 12:12 am

Made them tonight! I agree about the “from scratch” concept – once you veer away from boxed desserts, it’s hard to go back! The outcome was from this recipe was delicious, was expecting them to be exceptionally sweet but they really weren’t. my only thing is that the top brownie layer was barely visible. Any clue why? Can’t wait to share these with my friends. You can bet I already have with the instagram world! Thanks for sharing!!

lmachell August 31, 2012 at 11:27 am

I’m not sure why you’re top layer would come out like that…I didn’t have any problem with the different layers of mine- they were all very definable.

Lee September 19, 2012 at 6:40 pm

mine did the same thing. Seemed like the brownie batter surrounded the entire thing. in parts you could see the layers though. Tasted great.

Kelly-Anne September 2, 2012 at 1:25 am

Nice recipe. I love a simple brownie recipe which is easy for the kids :)
I also like the below brownie recipe.
Thanks for sharing,
Kelly

mrskingsbury71 October 2, 2012 at 3:57 pm

I made these last week, but instead of the cookie dough layer, I made a blondie layer with white & toffee chips. It so good and so moist, not to mention extremely rich.

Sarah M October 3, 2012 at 4:32 pm

I made them this weekend. They were so simple, tasted great, and all my friends loved them! They were definitely the perfect treat to bring back to college with me, and a huge step up from your everyday brownie. I used Double Stuffed (personal preference) and they worked out great; only you will need a little more than just one package to cover the entire pan.

Kara Keahon October 5, 2012 at 8:28 pm

These were really good! I had no problems with the layers. They came out beautiful. I posted them on my facebook page and everybody wanted the recipe. I sent them all over to your blog! Thanks for the recipe :)

lmachell October 6, 2012 at 8:43 am

Thank you so much Kara! I appreciate that : )

Michal October 15, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Wow they look awesome!
Will try it sometime, thanks!

LAP October 26, 2012 at 4:31 am

Making these babiez with my girlfrienzzzz
Thnx Laura LYLAS (Love ya like a seestur)
Jw (just wondering)- why are they called slutty brownies? And why do they take so long? We’re hungry NOW!!

lmachell October 28, 2012 at 9:17 am

haha I have no idea where the name came from… maybe because they are so tempting?

shannon November 29, 2012 at 12:43 am

Can u crumble the oreo cookies? In the cookie layer??

lmachell December 5, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Absolutely! Go for it!

Amanda December 8, 2012 at 1:17 am

My friend’s sister made these and we truly pigged out on them! They are sooo good and I couldn’t get enough of them, also we cut them to the shape of the oreo’s because they were too good to eat in small portions.

lmachell December 8, 2012 at 7:45 am

So glad that you enjoyed them!

Karen December 16, 2012 at 1:19 pm

I made these for Thanksgiving and they were a huge hit! Everyone couldn’t stop eating them. I’ll be making them again for a Holiday pot luck at work this week and I can’t wait! Thanks for an amazing recipe!

lmachell December 19, 2012 at 5:16 pm

I am really happy to hear that! They really are quite a treat.

Andrea January 31, 2013 at 7:06 am

I want to make these a little healthier. I was thinking of doing oatmeal chocolate chip cookies on the bottom, Newman-O’s(like organic Oreos) and no-pudge brownie mix on the top. Any idea how this would work? Has anyone else tried variations on this recipe?

lmachell February 11, 2013 at 11:14 am

I don’t know how it would taste in comparison- probably not as good, since it’s lacking all that fat. But you can definitely just layer them the same way and see how it tastes!

Pam April 25, 2013 at 12:07 am

what is TB?????? and can I replace the brown sugar by the white sugar? HELP!

lmachell April 28, 2013 at 10:42 am

Tb is short for Tablespoon. And you can replace the sugar but it will most certainly change the texture.

onmybike May 4, 2013 at 10:32 am
onmybike May 4, 2013 at 10:47 am
lmachell May 7, 2013 at 7:11 pm

Awesome! So happy that you liked them : ) And thanks for sharing!

Slutty Brownies August 13, 2013 at 2:40 pm

Uniquely delicious recipe. Recently, I tried them and was fascinated by the taste of these slutty brownies. :)

hare psychopathy test questions October 15, 2014 at 7:08 pm

I have learn a few just right stuff here.
Definitely value bookmarking for revisiting. I wonder how
so much attempt you put to make this sort of wonderful informative site.

amanda December 2, 2014 at 4:01 pm

Could you make these with already made cookie dough? I’ve never made cookies from scratch!!