Don’t you hate when you have to buy an expensive ingredient for a recipe and then end up using only half of it? Or just some small portion that doesn’t quite justify the expense of the purchase. I HATE that! I feel like I run into that problem all the time too. Especially with fancy cheeses and herbs. It drives me nuts. I try and try to use up what’s left in with another recipe or two, but that doesn’t always happen. That seems to require a certain degree of organization that I don’t really have… haha Well, that’s what these Goat Cheese and Gruyere Artichoke Toasts were created out of- my need to use expensive leftovers. I mean seriously- $5.99 for a 6 oz block of goat cheese!?!? I could die.
So I had all these leftovers from the Zucchini Quiche that I made a while back. Gruyere, goat cheese, parsley, and sourdough bread. I tried to brainstorm something delicious to make with these things and the first thing that came to my mind was some sort of fancy grilled cheese. Then I thought, “what would be even better than that?”. Broiled cheese toasts! Pretty much a crostini. Because who doesn’t love the caramelized, meltiness of cheese? After a quick rummage through the back of my fridge, I found a half empty jar of marinated artichokes and a lemon grasping at the last leg of its life. And the recipe for using up my leftovers was complete!
Whether you go out and buy the ingredients for these right from the supermarket or you have some of them lying around like I did, these toasts make such a great appetizer. They are so good! The acidity of the lemon balances out the saltiness of all the cheese, and creates great depth of flavor. The last thing these toasts are is bland. They are creamy and delicious : ) Quite a winner for something that I pulled out of the fridge in 5 minutes! I challenge you to do the same with your expensive leftover ingredients- it’s really quite fun. Almost like being on Chopped or something haha
- Baguette, Italian bread, French bread, or Sourdough bread, sliced for toasts
- olive oil
- 4 oz goat cheese
- 2 oz (1/2 cup) grated gruyere cheese
- 3 Tb chopped marinated artichokes
- 2 Tb fresh parsley, chopped
- pinch of salt and pepper
- squeeze of lemon juice, optional
- Preheat broiler. Lightly brush both sides of toasts with olive oil and place on non-greased sheet tray. Place in oven and broil until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Turn slices over and repeat with remaining side. Remove from oven.
- Meanwhile, mix together remaining ingredients in medium bowl.
- Spread desired amount on each toast and return to oven. Broil until cheese is golden brown and bubbly, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from oven and serve warm.