This was a fun little recipe. I ran across this the other day when I was flipping through a Rachel ray cookbook that I own (which admittedly I don’t do that often). I don’t make too many of her recipes, but sometime I run across a couple of them that I just have to try. This meat loaf recipe sounded so interesting! Ground turkey, mushrooms, and sage + gravy. YUM! Not to mention that it sounded very simple and quick. As much as she swears by all her recipes being “30 minutes” I tend to not find that to be the case. This one was indeed fast- probably not quite “30 minutes” fast since you have to wash and chop the mushrooms (which I always find tediously time consuming), but if you don’t count the veggie prep, it could definitely make the cut.
And they were super delicious too! Very simple flavors, but just wonderful with the addition of the fresh sage. Especially in the Winter-time. There is just something about fresh sage in the Fall and Winter that I find incredibly comforting. Plus- how cute is it that you shape them into individual patties?? You could probably even put them between a nice crusty roll to make a “meat loaf sandwich” type meal out of this. But to keep it light, leave out the bread of course.
That’s the other thing about these meat loaf patties- they are healthy! Ground turkey and veggies make a super lean and nutritious combination. The only part of the recipe you can consider slightly non-nutritious is the gravy since it is basically sodium and butter… but still, it wasn’t made with turkey drippings or anything so even that isn’t terrible for you.
Personally I was really happy with the ease and outcome of this recipe and will be putting it on my regular menu roster : )
- 3 Tb olive oil
- 8 crimini mushrooms, chopped
- 8 shiitake mushrooms, chopped
- 1 shallot, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 & ⅓ lbs (1 package) ground turkey
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh sage, leaves stripped and chopped
- 1 Tb worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- For the Gravy:
- 2 Tb butter
- 3 Tb all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken or turkey broth
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- Heat a nonstick skillet over med-high heat. Add 2 Tb olive oil. Add chopped mushrooms and shallots and season with salt and pepper. Saute veggies until dark and tender, 5 or 6 minutes. Remove from heat. Transfer veggies to a bowl and return pan to stovetop to preheat to cook patties.
- Place turkey in a mixing bowl. Make a well in the center of the meat. Add sage, worcestershire, bread crumbs, and beaten egg. Add veggie mixture and salt and pepper as needed. Mix together and make 4 to 6 small patties. Cook patties, one at a time, in skillet with 1 Tb olive oil heated over medium heat, about 6 minutes per side. Transfer to serving plates.
- Return pan to heat and add butter. When the butter has melted, whisk in flour and cook 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in broth and season gravy with poultry seasoning, salt, and pepper. Thicken gravy to your liking and serve over patties.