Baked Pineapple Casserole

March 25, 2013

Pineapple. Cheese. Butter. And… SUGAR? Yes, you heard me. Along with a buttery Ritz cracker topping, this casserole is a delight of what some may find an unthinkable combination of foods. Haha I know that I certainly did at first…

On some levels I really like to push my food experiences. For example, with this casserole. After stumbling upon it, I took a minute and thought, “look at all the great reviews it received- there has go to be something to this!” And even before I actually got the chance to make it, somebody ironically brought it to the weekly potluck at my church group. It was soooooo goood! It immediately went on my “to-do” list.

I decided to use Paula Deen’s version since it was rated with 5-stars and had a TON of great reviews. But I really didn’t like her exact recipe. I halved it since I was only making it for myself, but I don’t think it made a difference in the outcome. Instead of a full cup of sugar, I slightly decreased it as many of the reviewers recommended. Not a lot, but just enough so it was straight cheese-syrup. I kept the flour as I found out that it was an essential thickening agent in the ‘syrup’. The whole thing kind of melts into a buttery, sugary, cheesy delight with this delicious liquid, which really ends up just like a syrup. It’s pretty darn yummy. Please, please, pleasssse use freshly shredded cheese though! The pre-shredded kind is coated with cornstarch and doesn’t melt well. Really, do yourself that favor.

Personally, I enjoyed this dish a lot and will be adding it to my Easter Dinner rotation. It is such a great side dish to ham! Anything sweet really goes well with pork. Like maple syrup with sausage or bacon…Mmmmmm. But that’s a whole ‘nother story.

Baked Pineapple Casserole
Serves: 8
  • ¾ cup sugar
  • 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups grated sharp cheddar
  • 2 (20-ounce) cans pineapple chunks, drained, and 6 tablespoons pineapple juice reserved
  • 1 cup cracker crumbs (recommended: Ritz)
  • 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, melted, plus extra for greasing pan
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Grease a medium-size casserole dish with butter.
  3. In a large bowl, stir together the sugar and flour. Gradually stir in the cheese. Add the drained pineapple chunks, and stir until ingredients are well combined. Pour the mixture into the prepared casserole dish.
  4. In another medium bowl, combine the cracker crumbs, melted butter, and reserved pineapple juice, stirring with a rubber spatula until evenly blended. Spread crumb mixture on top of pineapple mixture. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown.

adapted from Paula Deen

Jess @ Flying on Jess Fuel March 25, 2013 at 4:11 pm

Oh my gosh, this sounds good! We usually have a pineapple sauce with our Easter ham, so I think this would be the PERFECT side!! Yum!

sara March 31, 2013 at 11:12 pm

This sounds really interesting! Don’t think I would ever think to combine all of these ingredients, but it actually sounds pretty yummy…can totally see this with ham as I love savory-sweet combos!

Shelley April 17, 2013 at 4:44 pm

My Momma made this for YEARS before I would even think of touching it. Now…I’m a little sad about all those years of pineapple casserole that I missed. It’s now my name that’s down to bring this to every family function. It one of our favorites!

benefitsofvitaminc.net May 28, 2013 at 4:13 pm

Hello there! This is my first visit to your blog! We are a collection
of volunteers and starting a new initiative in a community in the same niche.

Your blog provided us valuable information to work on.
You have done a extraordinary job!

booksonfood.blogspot.com June 12, 2013 at 7:01 am

Your style is very unique in comparison to other folks
I’ve read stuff from. Thanks for posting when you have the opportunity, Guess I’ll
just bookmark this web site.

lmachell June 13, 2013 at 8:42 am

Thank you so much!

Marilyn August 8, 2013 at 2:08 am

Well now I know why it wasn’t creamy…I used preshredded cheese
intead of grated….will change it the next time…….

Angela December 20, 2013 at 12:56 am

I make this as well, given to me by my next door neighbor of about all my 44years. I am assigned this every Thanksgiving on my second stop of the day, so this year I did it in the crockpot…it cooked on low for about 4 hours while I ate at the first stop..maybe was even better. Good to try if you can’t be home in time to cook right before eating.

Dana April 19, 2014 at 10:26 pm

Can this be prepared the night before and then baked the
Next day?

top brain training websites May 15, 2014 at 11:32 pm

At this time I am going away to do my breakfast, later than having my
breakfast coming again to read other news.

Cherrie January 1, 2015 at 12:15 pm

Made this for new year and included some peaches to it. They loved it!

pat January 19, 2015 at 4:47 pm

This is something you will make a Lot. Delicious , easy, and quick to to side dish. Good for pot luck dinners too.

Sara April 1, 2015 at 9:11 pm

I’m very anxious to attempt in making this for Easter! What size dish works best for this recipe?

Michelle September 7, 2015 at 4:37 pm

Can I use brown sugar instead of white sugar??