Ohhhh, cranberry cherry chicken wrap… where have you been all my life?
I’ve always been a fan of those savory-sweet, fruit-nut, type salads. Case and point- Broccoli Salad. Love it. But this chicken wrap is a whole different beast.
Thinly sliced seasoned chicken breast. Chopped sun-dried tomatoes. Dried cranberries and cherries. Chopped, toasted pecans. A spoonful of greek yogurt. Wrap it in a whole-grain flatbread with some lettuce and you’ve got yourself one killer lunch (or light dinner!).
Wraps are like salads or soups. There really is not right or wrong about it. You can add more ingredients, substitute out a couple, or even completely omit some if you prefer. You have lots of options to make this the perfect wrap for you.
This is where I went with my wrap- I light seasoned my chicken breast with some Beau Monde seasoning salt and cooked it in a skillet. Once it was cooled, I sliced it really thin into strips. I tossed all my “chicken salad” ingredients together in one bowl with a tablespoon of fresh rosemary that I finely chopped and a pinch of kosher salt. I kept it really simple and straight-forward. I couldn’t help from keeping the little hamster wheel in my head from spinning though- I came up with a couple more options:
- Add a pinch of cayenne pepper for a spicy element!
- Cheese!! I think brie cheese or goat cheese would be perfect paired with this wrap.
- And if you’re not restricting your calories- lose the yogurt, and add some mayonnaise and chopped bacon instead. Yum!
- Maybe substitute balsamic vinegar…
- Chopped apple or grapes?
- Add a teaspoon of sugar so it really resembles the broccoli salad dressing.
You’ve got to make this one for yourself! It was AWESOME. And as I mentioned above, just change it up to suit your own tastes. I think next time I will add some cheese and maybe use mayo instead of yogurt hehe : )
(I used a homemade whole-wheat flatbread, click here for recipe.)
- wrap or flat bread
- ½ cup seasoned chicken breast strips
- 1 Tbsp sundried tomatoes, sliced
- 1 Tbsp dried cherries
- 1 Tbsp dried cranberries
- 1 Tb chopped, toasted pecans
- 1-2 Tb plain Greek yogurt (OR sour cream or mayonnaise)
- splash apple cider vinegar
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, mix together chicken, sundried tomatoes, dried cherries, dried cranberries, pecans, 1 tablespoon yogurt, and vinegar. Lightly season with salt and pepper. Add more yogurt if necessary.
- Lay lettuce in wrap or flat bread and then top with chicken salad mixture. Roll up, slice in half, and serve.
inspired by Menu Musings