Popeye Muffins

July 16, 2013

Spinach Muffins | http://laurassweetspot.com

It’s no secret that I am a big advocate for sneaking veggies to your children. Just last Friday I posted a recipe for Magic Veggie Muffins. Since that recipe (in theory) allows you to use any vegetable/fruit combination, you could probably make those spinach muffins as well.

This recipe is much different though.

This recipe is tailored specifically for using fresh spinach. One whole 6-ounce bag to be exact.

With the help of the mashed banana and the cinnamon, you can’t even taste the spinach. You’re kids will never know. They will simply be a Green Muffin to them. And isn’t that just all the more enticing to a child?

Spinach Muffins | http://laurassweetspot.com

Once when I was a kid, my Mom found a recipe for “Popeye Muffins” in a magazine. She made them for us the one time. I can’t remember whether I liked them or not, I just remember that she made them and that the recipe used frozen spinach. The muffin wasn’t green like these though, it had swirls of spinach throughout, similar to cakes/muffins made with shredded zucchini.

Anyways, that barely tangible memory of the muffins my Mom made, inspired me to create these muffins.

I am really happy with these muffins. And my daughter is really happy with these muffins.

Most importantly, her body is really happy with the extra dose of nutrients these deliver.

Spinach Muffins | http://laurassweetspot.com

Spinach Muffins
Author:
Serves: 16 muffins

• 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup whole-wheat flour
  • ¾ cup sugar
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • ½ tsp baking soda
  • 1½ tsp ground cinnamon
  • ½ tsp salt
  • ¼ cup canola oil
  • ¾ cup milk
  • 1 (6 ounce) bag fresh baby spinach
  • ½ cup mashed banana (from about 2 bananas)
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F and line two 12-cup muffin pans with paper liners.
  2. Whisk together dry ingredients in a large bowl: flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
  3. In a blender, place oil, milk, and spinach. Blend on high for about 30 seconds or until completely puréed. Add banana and vanilla; blend on low just to mix.
  4. Pour puréed mixture into dry mixture and fold together with a rubber spatula until completely combined.
  5. Fill muffin cups about ⅔ full and bake 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Notes
You can use 2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour for an all whole-wheat option. You can possibly use spelt flour too.

LaNeshe July 16, 2013 at 9:09 pm

I must try this. This looks awesome.

lmachell July 17, 2013 at 7:20 pm

Thanks LaNeshe! I hope that you do try them : )

Jeanne @JollyTomato July 18, 2013 at 4:36 pm

These look amazing – I will have to try them! I agree that greens are pretty well “hidden” in a lot of baked goods (as in, you might still see the green but you don’t really taste it) so I hope this is the beginning of a new trend toward greening!

Cristina July 20, 2013 at 1:29 pm

My two year old stole one from the counter, screamed “cake!” at the top of his lungs, took a bite, ran out of the room while simultaneously doing a happy dance/run and chanting “cake,” devoured the muffin in no time flat, and then came back for more. Major hit. Oh yah, we like them too. And they’re green! Thanks!

lmachell July 20, 2013 at 8:05 pm

Haha Oh, that makes me SO happy to hear Cristina! I love helping kids eat better : )

Carie September 4, 2013 at 6:51 pm

Could you substitute apple sauce for the canola oil?

lmachell September 8, 2013 at 8:03 pm

sure, I don’t see why not.

Carie September 18, 2013 at 2:44 pm

I made this with the apple sauce instead of canola oil. They came out super moist and sort of stuck to the paper liner. Maybe I’ll use some spray next time and not use the liners. But the muffins are delicious – my kids loved them! I think next time I’ll cut back on the sugar just a tad because I thought they were very sweet.

Kendra December 7, 2013 at 8:59 pm

Thank u so much! I made these this morning & they were so tasty!

gold cost December 10, 2013 at 4:58 am

Thanks for the marvelous posting! I truly enjoyed reading it, you can
be a great author.I will remember to bookmark your blog and will come back at some point.
I want to encourage you to ultimately continue your great work, have a nice weekend!

Kendra January 22, 2014 at 8:08 pm

Do you know about how many calories one muffin is? Thanks!

Jessica March 18, 2014 at 7:35 pm

I made this as a bundt pan- a day late of st paddy’s day but it sure would have been cute! It came out great. I make similar pancakes and thought I couldn’t go wrong making these! I did change a couple things: used all whole wheat flour, 3 bananas that were very ripe, added a little nutmeg and shredded coconut. Can’t wait to give it to my daughter 🙂

Gupse April 7, 2014 at 6:27 am

My 1.5 yr old doesn’t put spinach in his mouth! I had a bag of leftover spinach and decided to make spinach muffins. I saw this recipe and decided to give it a try. My boy and hubby loved it! next time I’m going to try with applesauce. I however reduced the suger just below the 1/2 cup mark. added 2 tablespoons %100 maple syrup. overall this recipe is great!

Elizabeth June 18, 2014 at 8:32 pm

Huge hit with the toddlers/preschoolers!

Domi July 15, 2014 at 2:26 pm

So delicious!! Thank you for great recipe 🙂

Tracy Robin January 12, 2015 at 5:18 pm

Love these muffins!! Just wondering if I should store them in the refrigerator?

tessa January 22, 2015 at 6:43 pm

Made these this morning and they are amazing! My son went to town on his and asked for more. Spinach is something we always have in the house and I’m always making new things with it and this is one I will save a re-make. I love it!

Alison November 5, 2015 at 6:48 pm

These are amazing! We call these Hulk Smash Muffins and I am always asked for the website/recipe.

Wendy Kay November 15, 2015 at 9:52 pm

I made these this morning with my daughter and granddaughter. Wow! They are so good. Easy to make and they look just like the picture. This has been my most popular pin on Pinterest so I thought it was time to actually try it out. I will definitely make these again.

Kendra November 20, 2015 at 3:40 am

Thought I could use almond flour instead……NOPE! Batter was great, however the muffins fell. Back to the drawing board.

Crystal September 6, 2017 at 5:09 pm

I used Bob’s Redmill cup4cup Gluten Free Flour and they turned out really well!

Rose January 6, 2016 at 9:30 pm

Hi, my little picky eater loves these. I was wondering how long they stay fresh. Should I refridgerate after they cool? The first time I made them, they seemed to get some moisture in the ziplock I stored them in. Thanks

Melissa March 2, 2016 at 2:10 pm

My daughter loves these!!! My son has some extensive allergies…would coconut flour and oil be an okay substitution?

JJ November 2, 2016 at 11:33 pm

We love these! I use applesauce in place of the banana and coconut oil in place of the oil. SO GOOD!
Do you know how many carbs are in one muffin, made like the original recipe of course?

Ashley Thomas March 13, 2017 at 2:48 am

Can you substitute almond flour? Would it be a 1:1 swap? And what about using brown sugar?

Thanks!

Kathryn March 28, 2017 at 8:17 pm

Thank you so much! We made these for St Patrick’s Day, and they were a huge hit. I’m about to make them again for a Moana party as the “hearts of Ta Fiti”. I subbed a GF flour blend and they turned out great. I will try covering them with foil to prevent the tops from browning too much.